Friday, March 18, 2016

Semi-Sweet Plantain Fritters (AIP, Low-FOMAP, Paleo, Vegan, Whole 30)




Plantains have become one of my favorite starches since going AIP. Just a year ago, I didn't even know what a plantain was, much less what in the world what to do with it. Then I made tostones, and my world was forever changed. I tend to mostly use green plantains and never quite sure what to do with then start to tern yellow.

Usually I just slice and fry them up (which is delicious), but the other day I decided to try something new. I had a few plantains that were just yellow and turning a little soft. There are just becoming sweet, but still have a good bit of starchiness in them that helps them become perfect fritters.


Semi-Sweet Plantain Fritters

Makes 2-3 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 yellow plantain
  • ½ tablespoons cold water
  • 1 tablespoon cassava flour 
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • A pinch of fine sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil

Instructions

  1. Peel plantain and cut in large chunks. Add to food processor and do 2-second pulses (about 2-3) until it is finely chopped up, but not pureed.
  2. Add chopped plantain to small bowl and mix in water, cassava flour, cinnamon, and sea salt.
  3. Heat a medium pan over medium/low heat. You want it to be warm enough to heat the oil, but not too hot or they will stick.
  4. When pan is hot, add oil to warm.
  5. Fill a 1/4 cup with plantain mix and use that to put mix in pan. I found when I tapped the edge of the pan with the cup handle, it plopped right into a nice patty. Lightly press it down with a spatula to shape.
  6. Allow to cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes. 
  7. Carefully slide spatula under the fritter, if it is sticking, give it another minute. If it is ready, flip it over and cook it for another 2 minutes.
  8. Remove from pan and enjoy.








4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! They are pretty tasty too. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Plantains are most certainly life changing. ;) And I agree with Erin -- these look fantastic. I'm scheduling a share on my FB page for this weekend. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can't find Cassava flour is it ok to use tapioca flour? I also have coconut flour though I know some AIP sufferers can't use it others can, So any ideas on this? Thank you for the suggestions and reading my posted questions. Can't wait to try these out.

    ReplyDelete