Sunday, August 14, 2016

Creamy Mushroom Soup (AIP, Coconut Free, Paleo, Whole 30)



I am a sucker for a big bowl of creamy goodness of the mushroom variety. Prior to my paleo/AIP days, I would go around testing all the the mushroom soups I could find. The richness of the cream, the earthiness of the mushrooms, it was on of my favorite flavor combo. Of course, since cream is a no go for me now, I had kind of written off attempting to make this soup. I have attempted only one recipes thus far, and while it was pretty tasty, it never quite seemed to work for me. Since most recipes use coconut cream for the creamy texture, it is sometimes hard to avoid the coconut flavor taking over a dish. Sometimes it works really well, but for mushroom soup, I found it to be too overpowering.

Enter: the cauliflower. One of my favorite soups to keep in the house is a this Creamy Cauliflower Leek soup by Paleogirl99. She uses the blended cauliflower to give the soup it's creamy texture. So, I figured, hey I wonder if using cauliflower would help give the creaminess to the mushroom soup, without taking over the flavor? And guess what, it worked! This soup is perfect blend of earthy creamy goodness, that will definitely satisfy your taste buds.

(and only more creamy for good measure)



Creamy Mushroom Soup


Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ cup shallots, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons garlic, sliced
  • 1 lb white buttom mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 cups cauliflower florets, fresh or frozen
  • ½ cups bone broth, divided
  • 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt

Instructions

  1. Set instant pot to saute and extra virgin olive oil to the pot.
  2. Once oil is hot, add shallots and garlic slices and cook for 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
  3. Add mushrooms and allow them to cook down for 5 minutes or until the have reduced by about half. Stir frequently.
  4. Cancel saute function and pour in half a cup of bone broth. Deglaze the pan and scrap up all the dark bits from the bottom. 
  5. Add in the remaining broth, cauliflower florets, dried tarragon, thyme, and sea salt. Stir to combine.
  6. Place lid on pot and be sure the valve is set to sealing.
  7. Use the manual setting on high pressure and adjust the time to 10 minutes.
  8. When it is complete, press cancel and open the valve to manually release the pressure.
  9. Use an immersion blender to fulling blend all ingredients together.
  10. Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. Found your site through AIP Recipe Roundtable. Made this tonight for dinner without the instant pot or an immersion blender, cooked the cauliflower in the broth since it didn't seem to specify. Turned out great, and I'll definitely be using this method again in the future!

    ReplyDelete