Sunday, March 23, 2014

First Steps Towards Healing with Food

For many of those who know me or follow me on social media, you've noticed a bit of a change over the last several months. I have switched over to a largely gluten free lifestyle. Often at times even just paleo. There are many reasons as to why I have moved this way. One being my health. I do not see this as a fad diet.

You see about 7 years ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). The underlying issue leading to symptoms of this syndrome is the bodies difficulty to properly use insulin. Insulin is used to control your bodies blood sugar level. Since my body is resistant of insulin, it produces more insulin to keep blood sugar at a normal level. This additional insulin leads to the many symptoms of PCOS, included weight gain.*

Unfortunately, there is still a lot unknown about this syndrome. However, since my diagnoses I have been told be on a low carb diet. Avoid bread, avoid this, avoid that, you will never be able to eat like those around you. I struggled with accepting this diagnoses for a long. It wasn't until I really took charge of my life that I started to feel changes. Around August of last year I began reading about the gluten free and paleo lifestyle. I read the benefits of it, and I read why many choose it for health reasons.

It was then that something clicked for me. They way I look at is, more real food and less processed. The processed and over sugared food is what my body doesn't know how to breakdown. I found that I liked knowing exactly what was in the food I eat and it made a difference in how I feel. While I still haven't unlocked the key for more weight loss, I am seeing the changes in how I feel.  I have a long way to go, but I have decided to try and heal myself through food.

No comments:

Post a Comment