Sunday, December 28, 2014

Sardine and Anchovy Pâté (AIP, Paleo)



I have tried so many times to make and eat liver Pâté and I just cannot do it. It is boosting with so many goodies for you, but the flavor and smell make me just, ugh, nope can’t do it. This is my alternative to a liver Pâté. 

Real Food Liz explains how sardines contain several great nutrients like: omega 3, taurine, selenium, calcium, vitamin D. Additionally, anchovies contain more omega 3, calcium, and vitamin D, plus iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, vitamin C, vitamin B-12 and many more! While, it doesn’t have all the same nutrients as a liver Pâté, this is a very nutrient dense snack on its own.

Sardine and Anchovy Pâté 


Ingredients

  • 3.75-4 oz can of sardines in olive oil, drained (wild caught)
  • 2 oz can of anchovies in olive oil, drained and rinsed (wild caught)
  • 7-8 kalamata olives
  • 1 tsp capers
  • ½ juice of one lemon
  • Optional – 1-2 tsp of olive oil

Instructions

  1. Add all ingredients into blender or mini food processor.
  2. Blend until it reaches a past like consistency. You may need to add up to 2 tsp of olive oil if the mix is too dry.
  3. Enjoy with fresh cut veggies or plantain chips.

And here is Owen saying "I'm handsome, so you should share this with me." 


11 comments:

  1. I have been using idlife supplements for the last 8 months and love it you should take your free assessment and see what you think. http://refineme.idlife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody for the suggestion. I am actually working with a Naturopath who has done genetic testing to help determine what are the best supplements for me.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try this out! I've been trying so hard to get behind sardines since they have so many health benefits, especially us those doing AIP...but it's been so hard! I tried to eat them straight out of the can once. BLEGH. Just not my thing. And they left me feeling fishy for hours, ha! I'm sure this one will be light years better, since i LOVE olives and capers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely know what you are talking about Dana! The first time I tried Sardines, I threw them on top of a plain salad and it completely ruined it for me. It took everything for me to get it down, so I had to figure out a way to get use to them. This recipe is so perfect. I easily have it two times a week now. The lemon also really helps cut down the fishiness. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

      Delete
  3. I'm not a kalamata olive fan. Would green olives work or do you think there would be a better substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you can do all green olives or if you find a good Mediterranean olive mix you like, you could use that as well.

      Delete
  4. I eat something like this for lunch EVERY DAY! YUM :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any suggestions for someone who doesn't like olives at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could leave them. I used the olives to mask a bit of the fish taste.

      Delete
  6. I've just made this for my 2 year old who is currently on the AIP elimination after still having issues coming off gluten & dairy. He is wolfing it down. Thanks so much :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so awesome Sarah! You just made my day. I hope everything works out with your 2 year old, and AIP helps. :-)

      Delete