Monday, May 25, 2015

Homemade Italian Dressing (AIP, Paleo, Vegan)


One of the hardest things to find is an AIP friendly or even Paleo friendly salad dressing. Most salad dressing you find at the store include about 20 ingredients that make no sense and about 4 that you actually feel comfortable consuming. As an alternative, many of us learn to live with a little olive oil and vinegar, and that works a good bit of the time. However, sometimes you really want a salad dressing that tastes like one.

When I set about coming up with an Italian Dressing recipe, it was partially because I missed it, but what I missed more was a dressing that can also be used to make Grilled Marinated Summer Vegetables. This dressing can be tossed on a leafy green salad or as a marinade or in anything you would normally use Italian dressing.

Homemade Italian Dressing





Ingredients

  • ¼ cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
  • ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ¾ teaspoon dried basil
  • ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
  • ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ cup extra virgin olive oil


Instructions

  1. Place everything but the olive oil in a large wide mouth mason jar or large bowl. 
  2. Use an immersion blender or whisk to combine ingredients.
  3. Once other ingredients are combined, slowly add in the olive oil while blending or whisking.
  4. Store in a mason jar in fridge for up to two weeks. Recipe makes 1 cup of dressing.



Shared on AIP Recipe Roundtable
Featured on Autoimmune Paleo Recipe Round-Up June '15




12 comments:

  1. So what if I do want to eat the spatula? It smells and tastes yummy! ;)

    I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm so tired of these companies being cheap and added unnecessary ingredients, too much gmo-sugar being one of them, plus the constant use of Soybean Oil, and now I'm also better off making my own treats as too many of them contain brown rice, and I can't have brown rice or it acts just like the wheat and rot my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you can eat the spatula, but it might make you sick. ;-) Hope you enjoyed this as much as I do. You are truly better off making your own compared to almost any other stuff you can find at the store. Plus it is so easy to make!

      Delete
  2. This was so good! Italian dressing is my favorite and I have missed it so much since starting AIP. Before AIP, salad was one of my favorite foods, but I have been eating so many bland salads that I don't even enjoy salad anymore, until tonight when I tried this dressing! I mixed it all in my blender, but next time I will try just shaking it. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this makes me so happy! I am so glad you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. It definitely changed the AIP game for me as well.

      Delete
  3. So does it solidify in the fridge? I love using olive oil for my oil but I have a hard time getting it onto my salad after I refrigerate-any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine solidifies in the fridge, but I either let it sit out for a bit to warm up, or if I'm in a hurry I'll take off the lid and pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds.

      Delete
  4. My husband LOVED this!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best dressing I have ever tasted. Holy Hannah...so...darn...good. And AIP friendly, to boot? #winning

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make this dressing every time I run out of it! It is so perfect with chicken on a salad! I make it with an immersion blender right in the container I use for the dressing. Thank you, thank you, thank you for making AIP easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my guess is that this keeps forever in the fridge due to the red wine vinegar, right?

    ReplyDelete