Brussel sprouts have to be my most favorite vegetable ever. They are truly more versatile than many give them credit for, which makes them so fun. I really have no idea how I put this brain child of a recipe together. It began by trying to figure out how to cook as many veggies I can in one pan that actually work together. Totally makes sense right? Everyone wants less dishes to wash at the end of a meal. It is super fun to be surprised when something like this actually turns out to be delicious. Which is, of course, why I had to share it all with you.
Sweetly Braised Brussel Sprouts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, sliced (about ½ cup)
- 2¼ cup brussel sprouts, fresh or frozen
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 yellow plantain, peeled and diced (about 1-1¼ cup)
- 1 small apple, cored, peeled, and diced (about 1 cup)
- ¾ cup bone broth
- Heat oil in a large frying pan (one that has a lid) over medium-high heat.
- Once oil is heated, add sliced onions to the pan and sauté them for approximately 4-5 minutes or until they become translucent.
- Add brussel sprouts and salt to pan and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, add plantain, apple, and bone broth to pan. Stir to combine and bring broth to a light boil.
- Turn heat to low, cover, and let mix simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until liquid disappears.
- Serve and enjoy!