Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Braised Apple-Plantain Brussel Sprouts (AIP, Paleo)



Brussel sprouts have to be my most favorite vegetable ever. They are truly more versatile than many give them credit for, which makes them so fun. I really have no idea how I put this brain child of a recipe together. It began by trying to figure out how to cook as many veggies I can in one pan that actually work together. Totally makes sense right? Everyone wants less dishes to wash at the end of a meal. It is super fun to be surprised when something like this actually turns out to be delicious. Which is, of course, why I had to share it all with you.

Sweetly Braised Brussel Sprouts




Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • ½ medium red onion, sliced (about ½ cup)
  • 2¼ cup brussel sprouts, fresh or frozen
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 yellow plantain, peeled and diced (about 1-1¼ cup)
  • 1 small apple, cored, peeled, and diced (about 1 cup)
  • ¾ cup bone broth

Instructions

  1. Heat oil in a large frying pan (one that has a lid) over medium-high heat.
  2. Once oil is heated, add sliced onions to the pan and sauté them for approximately 4-5 minutes or until they become translucent.
  3. Add brussel sprouts and salt to pan and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
  4. Finally, add plantain, apple, and bone broth to pan. Stir to combine and bring broth to a light boil.
  5. Turn heat to low, cover, and let mix simmer for 15 minutes.
  6. Remove lid, stir, and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until liquid disappears.
  7. Serve and enjoy!



Shared on AIP Recipe Roundtable



2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubled the recipe since I had 2 plantains and lots of apples (I used 3 small ones), but I think I only had 1 1/2 recipe worth of brussel sprouts,, and I added 1 lb of ground pork seasoned with garlic, thyme, rosemary, and sage. It came out GREAT!!! The starch from the yellow plantains creates a creamy sauce and they taste like potatoes. Such a quick and easy skillet meal and YUMMY comfort food!

    ReplyDelete