I love beets! They are so deliciously good and so good for you! According to Health Impact News, the help lower blood pressure, boost your stamina, fight inflammation, have anti-cancer properties, and provide detox support. Sign me up! So many great benefits in one little root, it's hard to ignore.
Usually I roasted my beets, but decided to do something with them raw. I have thrown raw beets in a smoothie (which is delicious), but the idea of a cold shredded salad sounded great. Also, I was dying to use my new mandolin slicer I got for Christmas from the hubby. So, I combined the shredded beets and carrots to make this delicious raw salad.
Raw Beet and Carrot Salad
- 1 large beet (or 2-3 medium ones)
- 3-4 large carrots
- 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Cut the top and bottom off of the beet(s) and peel. I use a sharp knife to cut of the outer skin. Then cut beet(s) into quarters.
- Use a mandolin with the smallest blade to shred beets. Alternatively, you can use cheese grater to shred the beet. Place shredded beet(s) into a large mixing bowl.
- Peel carrots and shred as well using either mandolin or cheese grater and place in mixing bowl with beets.
- Add balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and salt to carrots and beets. Stir to completely combine and coat.
Featured on AIP Recipe Roundtable