Thursday, August 6, 2015

Stuffed Pattypan Squash (AIP, Low-FODMAP, Paleo, SCD, Whole 30)


Recently, I met my first pattypan squash. They were so cute and look like little pumpkins, what is there not to like about them? When I picked these up the other day at my local farm stand, I immediately knew I would stuff them. The question was, with what?

Through my research online, I found most recipes used rice as a main ingredient in the stuffing. Of course this wouldn't work, so I had to get creative. On top of that, I couldn't use cauli-rice again, because the hubby said he won't eat it anymore (whatever, I could eat it every day, but to each their own). So what to rice? After looking through what I had in the kitchen, I settled on diakon radish because it basically my new favorite snack. I am super excited how well these turned out, and even the hubby approved!


Stuffed Pattypan Squash




Ingredients


  • 8 small pattypan squash
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 lb grassfed ground beef
  • 2 cups diakon radish, cubed
  • 3/4 cup bone broth
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 cup frozen spinach

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place cooking sheet in oven to heat as it comes to temperature.
  2. Wash and dry squash, and slice the top off about a ½ inch from stem. Level out the bottom of the squash by cutting of a little so it sits flat.
  3. Scoop out the squash seeds and flesh, leave about a ½ inch shell. Reserve the flesh. 
  4. Lightly coat the cut parts of the squash with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
  5. Remove cooking sheet from oven and place squash on the sheet, opening side down.
  6. Roast for about 15 mins or until it is tender and the flesh side is brown.
  7. While the squash heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat in a large frying pan.
  8. Once pan is hot, add ground beef and brown.
  9. While meat is browning, place cubed radish and squash flesh in a food processor or blender, and pulse in 2 second intervals until it is riced. About 5 times.
  10. When beef is browned, add in the riced radish and squash flesh and bone broth. 
  11. Bring to boil and let simmer for 5 mins or until most of liquid is gone.
  12. Add spinach and sea salt and stir to combine. Cook for another 5 mins over medium heat.
  13. Remove from heat when done
  14. When squash is cooked, remove from oven and flip them over so opening is face up.
  15. Spoon stuffing mixture evenly into the squash rounds. 
  16. Serve and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment