Monday, February 22, 2016

Warm Escarole, Pineapple, and Toasted Coconut Salad (AIP, Paleo, Vegan, Whole 30)



Vegetables. Give me all the vegetables! Since starting the autoimmune protocol, I have found myself trying out so many new veggies. Some I never even heard of just a few years ago, others I have known about, but was always to scared to try them. Are you trying new vegetables now that you have changed your diet?

If not, or even if you are, I have a tip for you. If you are fortunate enough to have an international market near, like an Asian market, I recommend you go there. Even if you don't have one, go to your local grocery store. Each week, pick one new vegetable you have never tried before and give it a go.

This week I tried escarole for the first time. I learned, through trusted Google, escarole is a form of endive. It's got broad leaves and a bitter flavor. Basically the perfect match for a sweet crunchy warm salad. As I do with almost any other recipe on the blog, I checked the fridge to see what I could mix with it. This warm salad is a perfect way to get in your greens, but in a bit of a nontraditional way.




Warm Escarole, Pineapple, and Toasted Coconut Salad


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup finely diced pineapple, reserve 1 tablespoon of juice
  • 4 cups, chopped escarole, approximately one small head
  • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • A pinch of sea salt

Instructions

  1. Warm a large frying pan over medium/low heat.
  2. Once pan is warm, add the shredded coconut to the pan. Leave alone for 3-4 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Toss and cook for another minute.
  3. Add pineapple to pan and toss with shredded coconut and cook for about two minutes.
  4. Add escarole and extra virgin olive oil to frying pan and toss to combine.
  5. Stir often and allow to cook for 2 minutes, just enough to combine everything and warm up the escarole, but not enough to wilt it.
  6. Remove from heat and place in a mixing bowl.
  7. Add in reserved pineapple juice, balsamic vinegar, and sea salt. Toss to combine.
  8. Serve as a side to your favorite meal.






No comments:

Post a Comment